Monday, March 25, 2013

A Prayer for Palm Sunday

A Prayer for Palm Sunday


Lord, for a moment I can feel myself caught up in the excitement of the crowd, stirred by the sight of a hero entering the city in triumph: branches waving, pushing and straining to get a better view, hoping at... last for a decisive win.

But now I notice you are on a donkey, not a war stallion. You are not armed, no sword - armed with nothing but humility, clothed not in armor but in determined love. I want to warn you to watch out for the authorities, Pilate, Herod and their henchmen - but I know you know. I see courage in your face, a passion to do God's will no matter the cost.

So with the throng I can shout "Hosanna!" - and then I also want to whisper in your ear, Thank you for coming, thank you for your courage, your determination, your mission, for showing us the divine heart. Help me to follow - but I'll need you to give me some courage, and strength, and mostly love to be close to you, to do whatever God asks, to be a humble, fearless servant in Your kingdom that thankfully doesn't look like Pilate's or the culture I live in today.

Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord. Amen.See More